Welcome to the A Bar A Ranch.
We are looking for hard-working, enthusiastic team players who are eager to learn and be contributing members of our ranch community. If you love working with people, being outdoors, and are ready to commit to working hard as a positive member of our team, we welcome your application. We take great pride in our reputation for having an outstanding staff. If you’ve always wanted to live and work in the West, this is the perfect opportunity!
Below are the basic requirements you must meet in order to apply, including general information about the dates we need staff. We are now accepting applications for Summer 2020. Read on for important information!
We appreciate your thoughtful and complete responses to our application questions and look forward to hearing from you.
Yours from Wyoming,
Justin and Lissa Howe, Managers
Updated November 8, 2019
We are currently accepting applications for Summer 2020. We look forward to hearing from you! Please check your email for follow-up communication from A Bar A.
Thank you to all the students we met and interviewed this fall during our on-campus interviews at College of Charleston, Wofford College, University of Richmond, Furman University, University of Virginia, Sewanee & Washington and Lee.
OUR BASIC REQUIREMENTS FOR STAFF INCLUDE:
- You must be at least 18 years of age, and have at least one year of post-high school education and/or work experience.
- You must be a U.S. citizen or be legally eligible for a J-1 work visa.
- You must be available from at least mid-May through late-August or late-September.
- In 2020, the latest start date is May 23 and the earliest end date is August 30 (a few positions end August 23). If you are not available during that time, please keep us in mind for a future summer.
- Please keep in mind that about 75% of our positions require being able to work through late September!
- Two references (at least one of these references should be a professional reference from a supervisor).
- If you are in college or just graduated, please attach a copy of your college transcript (GPA at least 3.0; unofficial copy is acceptable). If you are a first-semester freshman, please submit your high school transcript.
- Evidence of interest in working with and being of assistance to other people.
- Evidence of ability to live in a small community of peers as a positive team member.
- Interest in having a unique experience, not just a summer job.
- The A Bar A Ranch is a drug-free work place and you must be drug free. We reserve the right to use drug testing.
Monthly salaries vary. Room, board and use of ranch facilities are additional benefits. The general tips fund is distributed in mid-November, among the staff who have completed their contracts only.
- We begin reviewing applications in October. We review only complete applications (including resume, transcript, 2 references).
- We offer on-campus interviews at select colleges/universities: early November
- We offer phone interviews beginning in late October, and continue these until hiring is complete.
- We highly recommend that you submit your application by December 1, 2019 to increase your chances of being hired.
- We make decisions/job offers on an on-going basis until hiring is complete. The majority of our positions are filled by mid-January.
At the A Bar A Ranch, we create an environment that provides opportunities for deep connections with others, with ourselves, and with the land.
UPCOMING SUMMER SEASON EMPLOYMENT DATES
Applicants must be available from at least the third week of May through the third week of August. Most of our positions will end in late September, and some will start earlier in May. Please see “Job Descriptions” pages for more detailed information.